<$BlogRSDUrl$>

10.13.2003

Last week a woman entered the building and I could tell immediately that she was new. She had that lost look as if she didn't realize that she entered a library and wondered what all the books were doing here. Then she slowly scoped out our computer areas, which is how she wandered over to me and asked about how to use a computer. I explained that she needed a library card or photo ID number to log on and pointed towards the front desk. Conversation over.

A few minutes later I wandered over to the front desk for something and the woman approached me again. This time 2 staff members were with me. She asked about our security system.

--Er, what security system?
--She points to the door. It didn't beep when I walked in.
--Oh, well it usually doesn't. Do you have something from the library?
--No, but I have a gun.

holy shit.

The clerks ask her to walk through the gates again. Hello? They are for library materials not weapons! So it's okay to have a concealed weapon in this state, but is it necessary here? C'mon. Believe it or not but we actually have policy stating that firearms are not permitted in the library. Should I inform her of this?

Before I can open my mouth, one of the clerks asks why she has a gun. :)

--I'm an undercover cop. And she pulls out her badge from inside her white t-shirt.

Well, honey, didja just break your cover? I'm no cop myself, but I do watch Law and Order. One should be more stealth if one is to be an undercover cop. Announcing that you carry a gun would seem to undermine the surveillance.

More importantly, what's going on in here that she has to be here?

I didn't get a chance to find out as a shrill voice emerged from the computer center...

--Miss! This don't got no sound!! I can't hear nothing!!! It doesn't work!!!!

Ah, back to work.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?